Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Honor. Some people have NONE.

Are you hardworking? Do you put forth your best effort at work? Do you do this because you cannot accept anything less from yourself than the best you can do? Ever run into someone who was "intimidated" by your initiative?

It always seems to be someone who is over you. Do they reject your ideas if they cannot put a spin on it to glorify themselves or take credit for it all together? How do these people find themselves in positions of management? Their loyalty is only to themselves, not the company, not the customer, not the citizen or whoever it is they serve....just themselves. They're taller when their standing on you.

I work in public safety and anyone who knows me knows my loyalties lie with the citizen I serve...not my boss, not the medics or firefighters I dispatch, not even myself. It's the only way this job should be done. That's not to say I don't want to make others job as easy as possible and many times I will go out of my way to accomodate personal preferences but NEVER at the expense of the citizen.

I fear that I may retire in the position I currently occupy because I'm not interested in stepping on people on the way up the ladder. I put little confidence in titles and degrees and little letters after a persons name. It all means nothing if they have no honor or integrity.