Monday, February 13, 2006

I'm just not cultured....and don't really care.

Hope and I have been going back and forth over what's gotta be one of the wierdest sports this southern boy has ever heard of...snowshoeing. I just can't, for the life of me, fathom being remotely interested in watching or participating in walking through ass deep snow on tennis raquets. Seems pointless. Perhaps it is a sport of endurance, perhaps it is a race of sorts, either way it just doesn't seem like much of a spectator sport.

This got me thinking that perhaps I'm just not cultured. Maybe I need to be a man of the world and open my mind to sports other than American football, baseball, and basketball. I've always thought cold weather sports were BORING, but then we got a minor league hockey team hear in northwest Florida and....derned if it ain't exciting to go watch.

So I turned on the Olympics today and caught the USA / Finland curling match. Yeah, curling...shuffleboard on ice as far as I can tell. I could never make sense of what they were trying to do. I thought they were aiming for the bulls eye but that wasn't so. I guess it's kind of a cross between bowling, shuffleboard, horse shoes, marbles and housework. I struggled to give it a chance mind you, I really did. But that's the DUMBEST sport I've ever seen. I'm sure there is a lot of skill involved and I'm sure there's all this strategy and fine motor skills that are required, and I'm sure these dudes trained their whole life to arrive at the pinnacle of this sport. It's still dumb. These guys were screaming and yelling and making all these wierd sounds and I couldn't even understand what the Americans were saying much less the Fins. But they'd hit one rock with another and throw their brooms above there heads and cheer, and then strut around like they just did something really cool, but I must have missed it.

I was starting to feel a little bit sissy watching it when my son walked in and looked at the TV, then looked at me. His eyes darted back and forth without saying a word and I knew what he was thinking...."Who are you and what have you done with my dad?" Thank God the military channel wasn't far away. I flipped over there, watched a couple of explosions and my blood started to flow again.