Friday, March 10, 2006

His spine is weakening, but at least he saves face.

DP World’s recent decision to transfer the operations of six US ports to a US based entity is welcome news. Bush apparently saves face by maintaining his position because he’s not forced to veto a majority decision by congress to overturn the deal.

"I'm concerned about a broader message this issue could send to our friends and allies around the world, particularly in the Middle East," the president said. "In order to win the war on terror we have got to strengthen our friendships and relationships with moderate Arab countries in the Middle East."
I think that to “strengthen our friendships” with an Arab country, albeit moderate, by essentially giving them the keys to six major entry points is an incredibly bad idea. I wonder how the UAE would feel about a US entity running its port operations. It would never happen, I guarantee it.

The President’s radical departure from what are obviously the sentiments of a great majority of the Congress, Senate and the rest of the nation is suspect to me. So also is his “cushy” relationship with the Saudi Crown Prince. They must have unflattering pictures of him with farm animals or something, I don't know. Hopefully the overwhelming bipartisan support for overturning this deal will thwart what I’m sure the Dems wanted to turn into a Republican folly in order to strengthen their position in 2008. Bush may keep his pride but he sure loses a lot of confidence from the citizens he serves. Count me among them.