Monday, September 11, 2006

Where were you?

I was at home, sick with the flu that day. I remember it vividly. It was a beautiful, sunny day...hot. There was a mockingbird outside my bedroom window and I couldn't sleep. There I sat, moaning about how bad I felt when suddenly the world changed forever. What a terrible day! Those were the first tears that had fallen from my eyes in quite some time. It felt foreign to me to be crying. My soul ached as I watched the south tower fall. Thousands of lives....gone. Why? Who? I couldn't even muster the anger that such an event would call for. Sadness...that's all my heart could hold at the time. The north tower fell and I felt like I couldn't breath. I just couldn't believe what I was seeing. I cried. Man, I wept. I hurt. I feared. I hated. I prayed. All by myself...burning with fever right there on that worn out old couch in that cramped little apartment. Where were you?