Tuesday, June 05, 2007

On the way to work...

On the way to work this evening, I noticed the following:

  • 18 American Flags on the short drive out of my neighborhood (4/10 mi)
  • The Citgo had 1 vehicle getting gasoline. The Shell next door had 8. The BP across the street had 9...God bless 'em!
  • A man who had a stalled vehicle in the middle of the road had no sooner turned on his hazard lights than two men pulled over to help him push it out of the road.
  • A billboard that said "Jesus loves you!"
  • At the door of a local convenience store, a young boy who was exiting and an old man who was entering held both doors wide open for a lady with a baby in one hand and a bag in the other. She expressed her appreciation to both with a kind "Thank You".
  • On the counter of that same convenience store was a pickle jar. On that jar was the picture of a young boy with intestinal cancer and a plea for any change you could spare. IN that jar was a whole lot of money....full to the rim with 1's an 5's.
  • Exiting the parking lot of same convenience store, the traffic was thick. But I didn't have to wait long for a kind motorist to stop and wave me out.
  • At Wendy's, a young boy, all of 5 years old was sitting with his grandfather eating a frosty. In his "outside voice" and his little country accent he stated very matter of factly for everyone in the store to here: "Paw Paw, you know whuut? I shuuuur do love you!" It drew a toothy chuckle from his "Paw Paw" and brightened everyone's else's day!
  • An advertisement for a "Father's Day" sale at a local gun shop! (I'll have to check that out.)

That really is just an average day here, but for some reason, today I just happened to notice it. Now I'm not saying you can't find these things anywhere else in this fine country but having traveled most of it, I can tell you with great certainty that you won't find it as often. Damn, I love living in the south!