Monday, January 30, 2006

Packin' Heat....what's wrong with that?

I was in Wal Mart the other day braving the massive hoards of rednecks to get some much needed toiletries. As I found my favorite Gillete Good News Pivot Plus razors I noticed the gentleman beside me was inadvertently exposing the muzzle of the .45 cal handgun he was concealing as he reached for an item on the top shelf. I felt a little uneasy. Not because he was carrying a gun but because I feared the poor chap's gun might be seen by some hairy legged chick from the birkenstock brigade who might become "concerned for her safety" and call the police.

It was an inadvertent flash but if seen by the wrong person, his life could've been made miserable. The offense of brandishing a weapon makes no exception for those who didn't mean too. "Pssst!", I said. He looked at me and I motioned for him to pull his shirt tail over his gun. He thanked me. Carrying my own .40 cal at the time, I told him no thanks were necessary.

What I wanted to do was ask him to see the whole thing. It was instantly recognizable to me as a 1911 model .45 cal., probably some expensive custom piece. But I couldn't. I don't know about you but I think that's a shame. I gotta hide my gun 'cause it might make someone feel uneasy. What a Nanny state we've become.